Jahangir Tomb Garden Wall (Punjab)
Jahangir Tomb is enclosed in a vast wall garden, also known as Bagh-e-Dil Kusha, built by his wife Noor Jahan, that was constructed in Persion style. The wall of gardens are not in good conditin now, but represents the historical influence of the Mughal architecture in area.
About Jahangir Tomb
Mughal Emperor, Jahangir, died in 1627 at the place of Rajauri coming from Kashmir to Lahore. He was buried in Bagh-e-Dil Kusha, a garden constructed by Empress Noor Jahan, at Shahdara on the bank of the River Ravi. His tomb was completed by Mughal Emperor, Shan Jahan.
The tomb is beautifully designed in a square of 267 feet with four minarets at the corners and four entrances on each side. The exterior of the tomb has red stone decorated with marble decorative motifs. Its minarets having a height of 100 feet, decorated with zig-zag inlay of white and yellow marble on its sides and white marble cupolas on the top. The interior of the building is one of the best floral frescos delicate inlay work Pietra dura and splendid marble intarsia of different colors. The cenotaph has delicate and colorful Pietra dura with an engraving of ninety-nine names of Allah.
The tomb was severely damaged by Lehna Singh and Ranjit Singh by removing the marbles and decorative motifs for the Golden temple at Amritsar.
Picture Location Map