Shalamar Bagh Waterfall (Punjab)
From the first terrace, there ia a waterfall, also called Cheddar, in its centre and just beneath the Aiwan Khas and in front of the marble throne on the second terrace of huge water tank.
About Shalimar Garden
Shalamar garden, also called Shalimar garden, was built by Shah Jehan, Mughal Emperor, in 1641. This garden is one of the most beautiful architects of the Mughal Empire. It was included in the UNESCO World Heritage site in 1981. The design of the garden was influenced by the Shalimar Gardens in Kashmir that were built by Emperor Jahangir. It is spread on an area of 40 acres. It can be accessed by bus from Railway Station on G.T. Road.
Shalamar Garden has three terraces, Takht, with four square-design with a line of fountains and big fountain tank in the center of first and third terrace whereas second contains beautiful stake of fountains arranged in an order with a small platform in the center of the water tank and pavilions on both sides. The first terrace is named Bagh-e-Farah Baksh and the second and third terrace is named Bagh-e-Faiz Baksh. There are pavilions at the beginning and at the end of the terrace. The third terrace was normally opened for noblemen and sometimes to the public. The second terrace was the garden for the Emperor and the third terrance was for the Emperor's private residency.
The Shalamar garden has the most sophisticated waterworks of Mughal architecture. There are 410 fountains in the garden and five water cascades. In which Sawan Bhadoon and the great marble are the most attractive. Due to its waterworks and dense shades of trees, it is a pleasant tourist spot in summer.
Garden is surrounded by a high brick wall beautifully decorated with intricate fretwork. There are domes are each corner of each terrace. Each wall of the first and third terrace main entrance is in the middle.
Picture Location Map