Mandi Bahauddin (Punjab)
Mandi Bahauddin is situated between the Jhelum River and the Chenab River, at the distance of 190 km from Lahore It is a central part of the Chaj Doab between the Jhelum River and the Chenab River, the is fertile land and suitable for different types of crops. It was one of the largest and important grain market developed in the British regime.
It has common boundaries with Gujranwal, Gujrat, Sargodha, Hafizabad districts. The Chenab River separates Gujranwala and Hafizabad districts from Mandi Bahauddin district. In the same way the Jhelum River is a natural boundary of the district with Jhelum and Sargodha districts. It is accessed via National Highway N-55 by turning left from Gujrat on Sargodha-Gujrat Road. It There is an easy access from Lahore-Islamabad M-2 by turning right from Salam interchange on the motorway toward Mandi Bahauddin on Gujrat-Sargodha road.
It names was derived due to its status of grain market and one of the famous Sufi saint Bahauddin, whose mausoleum is near the ancient village Pindi Bahauddin. In 1506, a tribe named Bahauddin established a settlement in this region with the name of Pini Bahaudin after migration from Pindi Shahjahanian. In 1920, a famous grain market was established near it. After that it was known as Mandi Bahauddin.
Mandi Bahauddin is an agricultural region due to flow of Jhelum and Chenab Rivers on its boundaries. Both of these rivers as well as set of various canals are used to irrigate the lands of the district. It is a region of producing various cash crops such as wheat, rice, sugarcane, etc.
Duffer Forest is situated the Gujrat-Sargodha road near Gojra town. The purpose of this reserved area is to conserve the trees and wildlife by plantation.
Rasul Barrage is located on the Jhelum River on the boundary between Jhelum district and Mandi Bahauddin district at a distance of 72 km on the downstream of Mangla Dam. It is used to irrigate vast lands in the Mandi Bahauddin and Sargodha districts as well as to control the flood situation to restrict the water for certain level. It also diverts the water from the Jhelum River to the Chenab River, due to Indus Water Treaty between India and Pakistan, at Qadirabad through Rasul-Qadirabad Link Canal, then finally water is transferred to Sulemanki Barrage on the Sutlej River. Rasul-Qadirabad Link Canal is the second largest canal after the Chashma-Jhelum Link Canal.
Shrine of Sheikh Ali Baig is located in Hallan town near Phalia in Mandi Bahauddin district. He was governor of Punjab in the time Mughals. The dome of the tomb was build in 1590 by himself due to the beauty of that area. After his death, he was buried in the same tomb as per his wish.
Jamia Masjid Ghausia Rizvia is artistically design mosque in the center of the town of Mandi Bahauddin on the Kachehri Road. It is a double-story mosque and decorated in a very stylish way.
It has moderate climate, that is hot in the summer season and cold in the winter season. In the rainy season it receives a considerable amount of rainfall.
Mandi Bahauddin Map