Ahmedpur East (Punjab)
Ahmedpur East, also known as Ahmadpur Sharqia, is a Tehsil of Bahawalpur. It is an important location due to various historical and archeological sites around it. Tourist can stay here before visiting the Derawar Fort and other historical points.
There are number of visiting locations such as the Derawar Fort, the Sadiq Garh Palace, and the Cholistan desert.
Bahawalpur is the eleventh largest city in Pakistan by population, located in Punjab immediately south of the Sutlej River, with a splendid view of 4,250 ft long Empress Bridge over the Sutlej River. It is also the largest city in Pakistan with respect to land area. Bahawalpur was the former capital of Bahawalpur State part of Rajputana States, founded in 1748, ruled by Nawabs of Abbasi family. The Nawabs of Bahawalpur has constructed number number building for residence and defense purposes. Now these buildings of Nawabs are opened for the public such as Noor Mahal, Sadiq Ghar Palace, and Derawar Fort.
In the British regime, Bahawalpur was declared as the princely state of India in 1802 by Nawab Muhammad Bahawal Khan II. On independence of Pakistan in August 1947, Nawab Sadiq Muhammad Khan Abbasi V acceded the state of Bahawalpur to Pakistan on 7 October 1947 as an independent state. In 1955, Nawab of Bahawalpur abolished the State of Bahawalpur and merged it into Pakistan. The family of Nawab is still living in Ahmedpur East in Bahawalpur, but they do not have any involvements in the affairs of Bahawalpur state. Most of the properties of Nawabs are now under control of Pakistan Army except properties which are in their personal use.
Bahawalpur is situated at a distance of 420 km from Lahore, and accessed through the motorway M5. From Kabir wala interchange on the Lahore - Abdul Hakeem Motorway, it is accessed through the National Highway - N5 through Khanewal and Lodhran.
The Nawabs of Bahawalpur also worked for the betterment of the people of Bahawalpur. Sadiq Egerton College was founded in 1886 and Islamia University started its operations in 1925. There number of schools are in operation due to the family of Nawabs.
Bahawalpur Railway Station, located in the center of city, is one of the major railway station in Pakistan on Karachi-Peshawar line. It is also a beautiful and attractive railway station in Pakistan.
Bahawalpur is a gateway to Lal Suhanra National Park with an area of 162,568 acres, which is considered as the largest nationals park in the South Asia and homeland for different type of precious animals and birds. It is located 35 Km in the east of Bahawalpur.
Another charming beauty of Bahawalpur is the Cholistan Desert, where the historical Derawar Fort is one of the most romantic places. In a desert safari, one can enjoy mild hot sandy winds of the Cholistan Desert.
The climate of Bahawalpur is dry and hot. Its weather is much hot in summer season, whereas temperature is moderate in winter season. It receives almost no rainfall, only 5.6 inch per year rain fall occurs in this area.
All of the agricultural in Bahawalpur is based on the canal and river water. Cotton, sugarcane, wheat, rice and sunflower are the main crops in this area. It is also famous for mangoes, guavas, and dates. Some of these fruits are exported to foreign countries too.
Bahawalpur is famous due to its handicrafts which are manufactured in the Cholistan Desert area. These handicrafts are Flassi, Changaries, Gindi, Khalti, and Artwork on dresses. Bahawalpur is also famous for carpets, pottery, and embroidery.
Ahmedpur East Map
Tour places in Ahmedpur East
The Cholistan Desert is the most popular and largest desert in the Southern Punjab, that is the part of the Thar Desert. It was fertile land in 4000 BC due to water from the Himalayas, but due to climate change and with scarcity of water, it turns into barren desert. It also has ancient settlements from the Indus Valley civilization.
Tourism in Cholistan Desert
Derawar Fort is situated in Ahmadpur East at the distance of 130 KM in the South of Bahawalpur. It is a square fortress in the Cholistan Desert. It is also known as Bhati Fort and was built in 9th century by Rai Jajja Solanki, a Rajput ruler of the Solanki clan. Then it was rebuilt in 1732 by Nawab Sadeq Mohammad Khan. It was initially known as Dera Rawal, then became Derawar.
Tourism in Derawar Fort